Monday, February 6, 2012

the cherry on my monday

Today started out fine and dandy. I had a great voice lesson. My voice teacher was all compliments, I even got a "good honey!", praise for my nice shiney b-flat, and the very first "honey" I have received in the almost two years we have been working together.

With the remenants of my singing glow I organized the rest of my afternoon before work on the metro. I would be grocery shopping (half hour) making lunch (a salad inspired by a restaurant called Chez Gladines) to be eaten whilst watching a 22 minute episode of Sex and the City followed by an hour of practicing (25 minutes learning the first and second movements of Shostakovich followed by 35 minutes of Bach)...a swell plan if I do say so myself...

15 minutes behind schedule (I really can never tear myself away from the cheese aisle) I was running around putting away the groceries, turning on the heat, frying the potatoes, washing lettuce, setting up the music stand, when while I was simaltaneously cutting tomatoes with a serrated knife and mixing a salad dressing I had an accident. A split second of poor concentration and the top of my thumb was bleeding like the dickens. Enter multiple four to six letter words here (there may have been dual-lingual cussing going on)...

I ran cold water over my boo-boo and reached one handed to grab paper towels, which of course fell on the floor at the same moment the tomatoes fell into the sink along with the cutting board and damned knife..so I am stooping for the towels, turning off the water, trying to get my thumb to stop bleeding and opening the window to rid the kitchen of the acrid odor of my potatoes burning...once I finally got the kitchen situation "under control" I ran to the bathroom and grabbed band-aids and neosporin and did the whole one-handed-band-aid-opening-magic-trick.

Finally my thumb is bandaged, I eat my salad, watch my episode and whip out my cello, warm up, start Shostakovich when my bleeping band-aid has bled through! Another three minute trip to the bathroom (at this point neosporin is smeared on the mirror, sink, and door handle) before I start practicing again. At five minutes till departure time I was very perplexed to see the tip of my bandage was already brown...but impossible! I had literally just put on 4 band-aids!

That is when I looked at the neck of precious Mr. Cello and there it was folks, the veritable cherry on my Monday...blood all up on Mr. Cello's neck, he was not a happy camper, nor was I when I had to re-roll the paper towels (still on the floor) and clean up yet another mess, you can imgaine the creative usage of four to six letter words exploding out of my mouth.

Mr. Cello safely desposed of and blood free, I upped the band-aid count and left the apartment a big fat mess. Something nice to look forward to when I get home...

Lauren: 0 points
Serrated knife from Ikea: 13 band-aids and counting

No comments:

Post a Comment