Saturday, February 5, 2011

que sera sera...what ever princess shall i be?


As an imaginative young girl I was obsessed by Disney Princesses. Out of all the princesses, the Little Mermaid “Ariel” was by far my most favorite. According to my mother and my own remembrances of yesteryear, I called myself “Big-Ariel-Sister”, obviously with dark brown hair I was no Ariel twin…regardless I did copy her behavior and most of her singing. In fact, I used to hide objects around the house(snarfblatts, dinglehoppers, and some gizmos and gadgets aplenty) then miraculously find these ‘treasures’ to put in my treasure bag and then use them to comb my hair-or something. I also vividly remember being pulled out of the Radium Hot Springs in Canada at age 5 after ingesting too much water in an attempt to sing “ah-ah-ahhhh….ah-ah-ahhhhh…” under the water.

As I grew older, I stopped playing dress-up (ok, I was 14) which leads us to last week at the kitchen table coloring the gigantic Costco Size Disney Princesses coloring book while listening to the Disney Princess Sing-a-long CD that I bought for my little girls as Christmas gifts.

Ever the perfect, patient nanny who was totally into listening on repeat “Someday my prince will come” and prancing around the living room with a six-year-old and a three-year-old (favorite Princesses=Ariel and Aurora) Penelope looked up from her industrious coloring of Cinderella’s ball-gown and asked me (567th time) who my favorite princess was (Ariel….duh!), and followed by telling me “Ever since I was five (she turned six in October) my dream was to grow up and become a princess.” Rosalie then chimes in, “Ever since I was four (she’s still three until April) I have dreamed to become Aurora!”

Penelope then asks, “What do you dream about becoming Lo-renn?” A far cry from a few months ago when she believed I was going to be her nanny until I retired…so I told them that I want to grow up to become an opera singer.

“A what??” (Well the word in French is cantatrice, even some frenchies don’t know what that word means)

“An opera singer, you know girls, I would dress up like a princess (who has syphilis or consumption) and sing on a big stage in fancy dresses.”

“Oh! Could you be Ariel?”

Not unless I strapped on my roller-skates and signed a contract starring in Disney’s Broadway production…however, other princesses come to mind…and hmmm interesting…this is when it dawned on me that in fact, I have never grown out of my princess phase. Yeah, sure, opera singing is an art, it takes lots of work, talent and money to get onto a stage, but at the end of the day it would seem that I am pursuing a career in Princess-dress-up…though of course not Aurora or Snow White…Princesses (or ahem…women of the world) with real problems…forget about that evil step-mother, let’s talk about congenital diseases and severely twisted love-triangles that result in violent deaths, much despair and romance all while of course maintaining a sustained high-c.

But until then you might hear my woodland song-

“Someday my agent will come….someday my agent will come…”

Then I will ride off into the sunset (toward Opera Bastile?) with a contract in hand.

I might still be a nanny but I’m doing well on the princess track…I have found my Prince Charming, a lovely 300square foot Castle in the Kingdom of Paris, France…most of my ball-gowns are black (neutral is very in), no evil step-mothers for me…and forget the glass slipper-give me a glass of champagne instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment